Gabapin is an oral medication prescribed for the treatment of epilepsy & neuropathic pain. Besides, it is also prescribed to the patients suffering from restless leg syndrome, seizures, nerve weakness, and peripheral neuropathy. Gabapin is available as tablets.
It belongs to the class of anti-epileptic drugs. Gabapentin is the significant and active component of Gabapin. It works brilliantly to relieve the patient from the pain and suffering during epilepsy.
However, it may be prescribed to the patients depending on their age and physical health conditions. Sometimes, it may not be prescribed at all, and its alternatives are preferred if the patient is allergic to Gabapentin. More conditions may prevail.
Manufacturer: Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Active Ingredient: Gabapentin
Prescription Required: Yes
What is Gabapin used for?
Gabapin is mostly prescribed to the patients suffering from:
- Neuropathic Pain
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Nerve Weakness
- Peripheral Neuropathy
How do Gabapin works?
Gabapin works by decreasing the abnormal electrical activity happening in the brain during epilepsy or neuropathic pain.
It regularizes the nerve functions by interacting with the neurotransmitters, i.e. the brain’s chemical messengers.. As soon as Gabapin gets activated in the body, it interferes with the central nervous system. As your body feels neuropathic pain, the immune system releases neurotransmitters to the brain to calm down. Gabapin boosts the response of the brain and relaxes the body. Thus, the patient feels relief.
This anti-epileptic drug is highly effective in blocking the pain after seizures.
- Take Gabapin tablets as and when prescribed by the doctor.
- Swallow Gabapin tablet as a whole. Please don’t crush, break, or chew the tablet.
- Make sure you take Gabapin tablets according to the schedule to see the maximum effectiveness of the medicine.
- Try not to miss or skip any dosage. In case, if you miss or skip any, you may continue with the next scheduled dosage.
- Gabapin can be consumed irrespective of food consumption. You may take it with or without having meals.
- Avoid overdosing Gabapin else it may show serious negative effects on your health.
Side-effects of Gabapin
Here are some side-effects of Gabapin to consider. However, many of them appear in low to moderate nature and disappear as soon as the effect of Gabapin diminishes from the body.
- Mood Swings
- Blurry Vision
- Weight Gain
- Memory Problems
- Muscular Weakness
- Numbness of limbs
- Dry Mouth
Please don’t panic if you see any such side effects. Seek medical guidance if these side effects prevail for a long time.
- Gabapin should be stored at normal temperature i.e., 15 to 25 degrees Celsius.
- Keep Gabapin out of reach of children.
Tell your doctor if you are using any medicines currently, so they know whether to prescribe you with Gabapin or not. Gabapin may show mild to severe contradictions with the following medicines:
- Gabapin may take a couple of weeks for some patients to see the effectiveness. Don’t get disappointed if you don’t see instant effects.
- Follow the instructions given by the doctor while using Gabapin.
- Please don’t double or reduce Gabapin dosage without consulting the doctor. Overdosing will not enhance your health instantly. If you think that Gabapin is not working for you, consult your doctor & seek guidance.
- Avoid doing any activities that demand attention after using Gabapin. For instance, driving, operating machinery, etc.
- Avoid drinking alcohol in combination with Gabapin as they have serious health impacts together.
1) Do I need a prescription to buy Gabapin online?
Yes. It would help if you only bought Gabapin tablets online after getting a prescription from the doctor. Gabapin tablets are available in different strengths. You never know which dosage is right according to your health conditions.
2) Is Gabapin addictive?
You might feel the addiction to Gabapin if you’re taking it for years. Well, if you want to free from this addiction, consult your doctor & ask them how you can discontinue this medicine safely.
If you stop taking this medicine suddenly, the withdrawal symptoms of Gabapin might be dangerous to your health.
3) When should I not use Gabapin?
Gabapin should not be used if you have any of the following (or more) serious health issues:
- Heart problems
- Kidney & Liver problems
- Eye problems (Eg: Glaucoma)
Also, you should avoid using Gabapin if you undergo treatment with any of such health problems. Consult your doctor immediately if you have thoughts about:
4) Can I use Gabapin to treat mental disorders?
Gabapin shows positive effects when used for mental disorders. However, it would help if you only use it after consulting the doctor.
5) Can I use Gabapin with food?
Yes. Gabapin is effective regardless of being consumed with or without food.
6) Can I breastfeed after using Gabapin?
Gabapin should be avoided when you’re pregnant, breastfeed, or planning to conceive. Tell your doctor about pregnancy before starting to use Gabapin.
7) Does it affect my fertility?
No. Gabapin has no adverse effects on fertility in men or women. Talk to your doctor if you have any doubts.
8) What should I avoid while using Gabapin?
Avoid drinking alcohol as long as you use Gabapin.