Selgin is one of the most prescribed Parkinson’s medicines. It contains Selegiline HCL as its major active ingredient. Selgin or Selegiline works like other dopamine supplements i.e. by maintaining Dopamine levels in the brain.
The main role of Selgin is to prevent the breakdown of dopamine levels by binding to MAO-B (Monoamine Oxidase) irreversibly. When dopamine breakdown is prevented & adequate dopamine levels are maintained, the brain’s control over body movements is enhanced.
Thus, it gets possible for Parkinson’s patients to normalize body movements, reduce stiffness & minimize the symptoms of Parkinson’s easily. Additionally, it also prevents excessive shaking or muscular stiffness.
USA Brand Name
|Carbex||Selegiline HCL||USA, India & Europe||Yes|
Why use Selgin (Selegiline)?
The role of Selgin in treatment of Parkinson’s disease is very significant. Selgin slows the progression of Parkinson’s disease being a dopamine booster. It keeps dopamine levels maintained in the brain. This helps body movements function smoothly for Parkinson’s patients like normal people.
How Selgin (Selegiline) works?
The human brain has an enzyme called Monoamine Oxidase. It is responsible for breaking down neurotransmitters or chemical messengers called dopamine. Monoamine Oxidase has two forms: MAO-A & MAO-B. MAO-B is more about breaking down dopamine levels in the brain.
Selegiline prevents this breaking down of MAO-B & compensates for the diminished dopamine quantities in Parkinson’s patients. Thus, dopamine levels are maintained for the regularized working of movements.
Uses of Selgin
Selgin is a prescription medicine for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
How to use Selgin?
Selgin is used orally as it comes in tablet form. Swallow Selgin tablet as a whole with a glass of water. Avoid crushing, breaking, or chewing Selgin. You may use it with or without food. But, only take the prescribed dosage of Selgin to avoid any severe side effects.
Note: Limit alcohol consumption at least 3 hours before using Selgin. Alcohol or grapefruit juice may make you dizzier when taken with Selgin. Excessive dizziness may be dangerous for your health.
It’s important to stick to the dosage timings of Selgin as prescribed. However, to err is human. If you have missed or skipped your dosage, take it immediately as soon as you remember. Please don’t double Selgin consumption if your next scheduled dosage is near.
Overdosing Selgin may make you witness severe health impacts like stroke. So, avoid overdosing Selgin.
- Dry mouth
- Swelling in gums
- Uncontrollable movements or imbalance
- Irregular heartbeat
- Insomnia or excessive sleepiness
- Tiredness or fatigue
- Indigestion or Upset stomach
- Ulcers in the mouth
- Muscular cramps
- Blood pressure fluctuations
- Sore throat
- Nasal blockage
- Back pain
- Chest pain
- Joint pain
- Buzzing in the ears
- Unnecessary sweating
- Swelling in ankles
- Angina pectoris
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Mood swings
- Mental state changes
- Blurry vision
- Urinary tract problems
- Blood pressure problems
- Muscular weakness
- WBC deficiency
- Loss of appetite
- Hair loss
- Spots on skin
- Postural hypotension
- Skin reactions
- Use Selgin if and only if you have been prescribed this Parkinson’s medicine.
Warnings & Precautions
- Tell your doctor if you have a surgical history if you’re suffering from any critical health problems like Heart, Kidney, Liver, Glaucoma, etc.
- It’s important to disclose your medical history, current medicines, allergies, etc to your doctor before starting to use Selgin.
- Don’t combine Selgin with alcohol or grapefruit juice to avoid excessive dizziness.
- Selgin is incompatible or conflicting with certain medications. Make sure you’re keeping a safe gap between using these medicines & Selgin. This helps you to stay away from any instant negative impacts.
When to NOT use Selgin?
- Avoid using Selgin if you are allergic to Selegiline.
- Selgin consumption should be continued only after consulting the doctor in case if you are seeing uncommon or rare side effects that last longer than usual.
- Don’t use Selgin during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Selgin should not be used if you are about to involve in any attention-seeking activities like driving, operating machinery, etc.
Some drugs show conflicting actions with Selgin or Selegiline. They are as follows:
Note: Tell your doctor if you are using any of these medicines already.
- Selgin is to be stored at the normal room temperature: 15 to 30 Degrees Celsius
- Keep it out of reach of children
1) Is Selgin safe?
Yes. Selgin is safe for Parkinson’s patients using this medicine as a dopamine enhancer after getting a prescription from the doctor.
2) How long does it take for Selgin to take effect?
It takes 1 hour for Selgin to come into effect after its consumption.
3) How long does the effectiveness of Selgin last?
The effectiveness of Selgin lasts in your bloodstream for 24 to 72 hours after consumption of every single dosage.
4) Can I use Selgin during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Selgin is considered unsafe for use during pregnancy, breastfeeding, and for women who are planning to conceive. Hence, it is better if you avoid using Selgin during such health conditions. Don’t forget to tell your doctor before starting to use Selgin.
5) Is Selgin habit-forming?
Parkinson’s patients using Selgin haven’t reported any addictive experience to this medicine. However, if you have any doubts regarding this, ask your doctor.