Gabatop is a recognized anticonvulsant primarily prescribed to treat epilepsy, seizures, and neuropathic pain. Besides this, it is an effective medicine for curing hot flashes, postherpetic neuralgia, and restless leg syndrome (RLS).
Gabatop 100 is a popular medicine in several countries, including India, the USA, Japan, etc.
It is prescribed in combination with other drugs to relieve the nerves from pain and seizures. Gabatop 100 is available in capsules, tablets, and liquid oral solution form.
However, Gabatop may not be prescribed to patients with severe health problems. Also, alternate medicines of Gabatop may be prescribed if the patient is allergic to its key ingredient, i.e., Gabapentin. Likewise, several factors influence the decision of whether Gabatop 100 should be prescribed or not.
Gabatop is not for the use of pregnant or breastfeeding women and children under 18 years of age.
Active Ingredient: Gabapentin, Methylcobalamin
Prescription Required: Yes
What is the use of Gabatop?
Gabatop 100 is mainly prescribed for the treatment of:
- Epilepsy (brain disorder with characteristics like uncontrolled jerking & unconsciousness)
- Postherpetic Neuralgia (Eg: shingles)
How does Gabatop works?
Gabatop works by gelling with the calcium channels. It increases GABA concentration & lowers the release of monoamine neurotransmitters. The excitability of brain cells is thus reduced, and convulsions are treated.
The major usage of Gabatop 100 is to calm down the brain and regularize its activity.
- Gabatop is an oral medicine available as tablets, capsules, and liquid solutions. Hence, it would help if you use tablets/capsules/solutions as prescribed by the doctor.
- Tablets/capsules are swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. Please don’t crush, break, or chew them.
- Follow the instructions given by the doctor for using a liquid solution.
- Gabatop can be used with or without food. It works equally efficiently in both cases.
- Please avoid drinking alcohol while you undergo treatment with Gabatop. Alcohol & Gabatop have adverse effects together.
- Avoid overdosing on Gabatop, thinking that it will improve your health faster. However, you may see negative health issues due to overdose.
Side-effects of Gabatop
Some mild to severe side effects might be observed among the patients using Gabatop. Please don’t panic if you see any of them because they are temporary and are expected to diminish as soon as the effect of Gabatop diminishes in the body.
- Weakness in the limbs
- Lower Back Pain
- Mood Swings
- Increased Appetite
- Blurry Vision
- Buzzing/Ringing sound in the ears
The following drugs conflict with Gabatop:
- Cancer medicines
- Medicines with Nitrous Oxide Content
Talk to your doctor if you’re taking any of the above-mentioned medicines before starting to use Gabatop.
- Gabatop should be stored at normal room temperature, i.e., between 15 to 25 degrees Celsius.
- Keep Gabatop out of the reach of children.
- Don’t forget to tell your doctor if you have any serious health issues like heart problems, kidney and liver problems, eye problems like Glaucoma, and so on. It will help them to make a precise judgment about whether to prescribe Gabatop or not.
- Tell about your allergies to your doctor. Also, discuss if you’re allergic to Gabapentin.
- Follow the dosage instructions given by your healthcare provider. Please don’t discontinue or overdose on the medicine based on self-decision. Such decisions may be harmful to your health beyond imagination.
1) Is Gabatop addictive?
No. Gabatop is not habit-forming. Ask your doctor if you can safely discontinue taking Gabatop so that you don’t witness any withdrawal effects of this medicine.
2) How long does the effect of Gabatop last?
Most patients have been prescribed one Gabatop dosage per day. However, this dosage intake may differ as per the health conditions and treatment requirements of the patients.
The common effectiveness of Gabatop lasts for around 15 to 21 hours.
3) What is the onset duration of Gabatop?
Once you take the Gabatop dosage, it gets active within 2 to 3 hours. Thus, you start feeling relief within two to three hours of Gabatop consumption.
4) Can I use Gabatop during pregnancy?
No. Gabatop is not recommended to be used during pregnancy, nor should it be used by breastfeeding women. Talk to your doctor also if you are planning to conceive.
5) What if I miss or skip any dosage?
Don’t worry if you missed taking the Gabatop dosage. You may continue with the next scheduled dosage. Please try not to miss or skip the Gabatop dose so that you can experience the expected effects of this medicine earlier.
6) Which food should be avoided while using Gabatop?
Gabatop does not require you to avoid any food. Just be careful to avoid conflicting medications as well as alcohol while undergoing treatment with Gabatop.