Ropark is a prescription medicine for treating the symptoms of Parkinson’s. It contains Ropinirole as its major active ingredient & is often referred to by its generic name too. This oral medication belongs to the drug class called dopamine agonists.
It is one of the dopamine supplements that act as a dopamine booster. The major role of dopamine boosters is to increase dopamine levels in the brain & maintain them for carrying out smooth movements in Parkinson’s patients.
Ropark is an effective Dopamine booster. Hence, it may be prescribed alone or in combination with other Parkinson’s medicines. Ropinirole in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease improves movements, decreases tremors, stiffness of muscles, slowing down of movements, and imbalance.
USA Brand Name
|Requip||Ropinirole||USA, India & Europe||Yes|
Why use Ropark (Ropinirole)?
When a patient suffers from Parkinson’s disease, the levels of dopamine are consistently dropping. Such decreasing dopamine levels cause stiffness, muscle spasms, loss of muscular control, tremors, imbalance, etc. Ropinirole being a dopamine enhancer prevents dopamine breakdown. It ensures that dopamine levels are maintained in the brain so that better body movement control can happen.
Ropark or Ropinirole works as an adjunct to Levodopa, another effective medicine for Parkinson’s disease. Thus, Ropark may be prescribed along with Levodopa to enhance body movement control by sustaining dopamine levels.
Uses of Ropark
Ropark finds its usage in treating two major diseases:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Restless Leg Syndrome
How to use Ropark?
Ropark is a prescription medicine available as an oral tablet. Parkinson’s patients should follow the doctor’s prescription for consuming Ropark as per their health conditions.
Usually, Ropark is consumed as one whole tablet. It is to be swallowed with a glass of water. Doctors recommend not crushing, breaking, or chewing Ropark before consumption. This medicine is safe to use with or without food, but should not be combined with alcohol or grapefruit juice.
You should be extra careful when you’re taking Ropark. You have to avoid driving, operating machinery, or any attention-seeking activities when you’re undergoing treatment with this medicine.
Make sure you’re taking Ropark as prescribed for the effective functioning of this medicine. However, if you forgot to use Ropark, you may use it as soon as you remember. You may continue with the next scheduled dosage if it is nearby time.
Don’t overdose or increase Ropark dosage based on self-assumptions. Doing so may impose extreme severe impacts on your health. If you think Ropark isn’t working for you, consult your doctor instead of doubling the dosage.
How Ropark (Ropinirole) works?
Ropark or Ropinirole works by increasing dopamine levels in the brain. When taken alone, it works as a dopamine booster for leveling up dopamine in the brain. In case if it is combined with any other Parkinson’s medicine, they both work together as dopamine enhancers by increasing & maintaining dopamine levels.
- Abdominal pain
- Swelling in the arms & feet
- Restless leg syndrome worsens
- Sudden blood pressure dropping
- Live function changes
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Not feeling sleepy, but falling asleep suddenly
When to NOT use Ropark?
- Ropark usage should be avoided if you’re allergic to Ropinirole.
- This Parkinson’s medicine should not be used by patients with critical health problems like heart, kidney, liver, glaucoma, etc.
- Do not use Ropark if you’re observing its side effects that are only getting worse. Seek doctor’s help immediately if no improvements from adverse effects are observed.
- Ropark is a Parkinson’s medicine that should only be used after getting a prescription from the doctor.
- This medicine is not for the use of children under 18 years, pregnant & breastfeeding women.
Warnings & Precautions
- Ropark makes you feel dizzy immediately after its consumption. So, avoiding any activities that need your attention is inevitable.
- Consuming alcohol or grapefruit juice could be extremely harmful to Parkinson’s patients for as long as they’re undergoing treatment with Ropark. These drinks cause excessive dizziness that may put the patient in dangerous situations.
- Discuss your medical history, ongoing medicines, surgical history, and allergies with your doctor when you are being prescribed Ropark.
Ropark does not suit certain medications. Hence, you should not use conflicting medicines together. You may ask your doctor regarding the safe gap that you can keep between Ropark & your current medicines to avoid severe side effects.
Here is the medicine & medical conditions list that conflict with Ropark:
- Vitamin K antagonists like Wafarin
- Antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin & Enoxacin
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Mental health problem medicines
- Nausea & heartburn medicines
- Any medicines blocking dopamine levels in the brain
- Ropark should be stored at the normal room temperature – 15 to 30 Degrees Celsius
- Keep it out of reach of children
1) Is Ropark safe?
Using Ropark is 100% safe until you’ve been using it as per the prescription.
2) How long does it take for Ropark to take effect?
We don’t have any clinically established evidence at the moment that shows the average onset timings of Ropark.
3) How long does the effectiveness of Ropark last?
No clinically established evidence is available that determines the total effectiveness timings of Ropark.
4) Can I use Ropark during pregnancy?
Ropark is considered unsafe for pregnant women, breastfeeding females & women who’re planning to conceive. You should avoid using this medicine & remember to tell your medical condition to the doctor before starting to use Ropark.
5) Is Ropark habit-forming?
No addictive properties have been found with Ropark among Parkinson’s patients who’re using this medicine regularly. Consult your doctor for any doubts or queries on this.