Donamem is a combination medicine with active ingredients Donepezil and Memantine. These oral capsules are prescribed to patients with moderate to severe dementia in Alzheimer’s disease. Additionally, it is also effective for patients suffering from dementia in Parkinson’s.
Though these Memory Loss Supplements cannot cure Alzheimer’s completely, they’re highly effective in minimizing the effects of the disease. It is believed to slow down the progressiveness of the disease.
USA brand name
|Donamem||Donepezil + Memantine||USA, India & Europe||Yes|
Why use Donamem (Donepezil + Memantine)?
Donamem should be used by Alzheimer’s patients suffering from moderate to severe effects of this disease. Also, Parkinson’s patients have the benefits of using this oral capsule we’ll be discussing right here.
Uses of Donamem (Donepezil + Memantine)
Donepezil and Memantine is an FDA-approved combination for:
- Treating moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease with dementia
The effective combination of Donepezil and Memantine improves the patient’s condition in both cases. Donepezil is used for memory improvements while Memantine is for boosting focus, language, reasoning, and daily activities.
How Donamem (Donepezil + Memantine) works?
Donamem has Donepezil and Memantine as their key active contents. Donepezil is a cholinesterase inhibitor medication while Memantine belongs to the class of anti-dementia drugs.
The main function of Donepezil is to boost the Acetylcholine level that plays the role of transmitting nerve signals for memory enhancements. On the other hand, Memantine is functional for blocking the action of glutamate, another chemical messenger of the brain, which handles nerve signal transmissions.
Both of these active ingredients of Donamem focus on balancing the chemical messengers in the brain affected by Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease.
How to use Donamem (Donepezil + Memantine)?
- Donamem (Donepezil + Memantine) should be used as per the prescription given by the doctor. Please don’t alter the dosage in smaller or larger amounts than prescribed.
- This oral drug may be recommended for use once per day before bedtime. However, this dosage may vary from patient to patient based on their health conditions and requirements for improvements.
- Swallow the Donamem (Donepezil + Memantine) capsule as a whole with a glass of water. Avoid opening the capsule, or chewing before consumption. It can be taken before or after meals.
- Avoid using the broken or damaged capsule.
Missed dosage can be compensated by taking the capsule immediately as you remember. You may skip the immediate dose if your next scheduled dosage is near.
Overdosing Donamem (Donepezil + Memantine) may make you witness severe side effects of the medicine as listed below. Consult your doctor immediately before the situation slips off your hands.
The following are some mild to severe side effects happening with the patients using Donamem. Don’t panic if they appear in moderate nature. Seek immediate medical attention if the adverse symptoms are getting worse.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling on the face/lips/tongue/throat
- Irregular heartbeat
- Painful urination
- Stomach pain
- Rashes on the skin or similar allergic reactions
- These Memory Pills are prescription-only. Don’t start or stop using them based on assumptions.
- Donamem can be used irrespective of food consumption. In other words, it is safe to consume with or without food.
- Avoid using Donamem if you’re allergic to Donepezil, Memantine, or any of its ingredients.
- Consult your doctor if you’re witnessing slower or faster heartbeats after using Donamem.
- Asthma and lung patients, liver and kidney patients, renal impairment patients, etc should disclose their medical issues to the doctor before using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor about your epileptic seizures, stomach ulcers, uncontrolled hypertension, congestive heart failures, etc if you’re already suffering from these health issues.
- Avoiding driving or operating heavy machinery will be ideal to not let any accidents happen because of the dizziness caused by this medication.
When to NOT use Donamem?
- During pregnancy or breastfeeding
- If you’re planning to conceive
- If you have any severe health problems, surgeries, allergies, or using any conflicting medicines already
- Medicines like Carvedilol, Oxcarbazepine, Tramadol, Trihexyphenidyl, and Trimethoprim should not be combined with Donamem. Ask your doctor about the safe gap you can keep with Donamem and these conflicting medicines to avoid dangerous effects.
- Donamem also shows severe conflicting reactions with disease conditions like heart and lungs as well as seizure disorders.
- It may show moderate reactions with medical conditions like hepatic and renal impairment.
- Besides this, Donamem shows negative actions if used with the following medicines:
- Dopaminergic agonists
- Oral anticoagulants
- Store Donamem at normal room temperature – 10 to 30 Degrees Celsius
- Keep it away from moisture, direct sunlight, and heat
- Keep it out of reach of children
1) Is Donamem addictive?
Donamem usually does not have any habit-forming abilities. However, you may ask your doctor and seek their opinions.
2) Can I use Donamem during pregnancy?
No. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid using Donamem for it causes negative impacts on the fetus in the womb as well as harmful when passed via breast milk.
3) For how long should I use Donamem?
Use Donamem for the duration prescribed by your doctor. If you wish to alter the dosage or discontinue using this medication, seek medical attention first.